Te that case, you may arrange to purchase meals from a schoolgebouw or another public or private food supplier with approved meal prep facilities.
How to Become a Sponsor
Thank you for your rente ter helping to feed children te your community spil a sponsor ter the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)! Here is information about how the program works and the role of sponsors and meal sites—as well spil the steps to apply to become a sponsor.
How SFSP Works:
SFSP is administered at the Federal level by the Food and Nutrition Service, an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture. FNS determines overall program policy and publishes regulations and payment rates. State education agencies administer SFSP ter most States. Other State agencies may also be assigned to run the program.
The State agency approves sponsor applications, conducts training of sponsors, monitors SFSP operations, and processes program payments. Sponsors sign agreements with their State agencies to run the program.
SFSP reimburses approved sponsors for serving meals that meet Federal nutritional guidelines. Sponsors receive payments from USDA, through their State agencies, based on the number of meals they serve. All meals are served free to eligible children.
Role of a Sponsor:
Sponsors are organizations that manage SFSP feeding sites. Spil a sponsor, you will:
- Attend your State agency’s training
- Locate and recruit eligible sites
- Hire, train, and supervise staff and volunteers
- Arrange for meals to be ready or delivered
- Preceptor your sites
- Prepare claims for reimbursement
- Ensure that your Summer Food project and sites are sustainable through community partnerships, fundraising, and volunteer recruitment.
Who Can Be a Sponsor:
Sponsors vereiste be organizations that are fully capable of managing a food service program. To be a sponsor, you voorwaarde go after regulations and be responsible, financially and administratively, for running your program.
The following types of organizations can be sponsors:
- Public or private nonprofit schools
- Units of recinto, municipal, county, tribal, or State government
- Private nonprofit organizations
- Public or private nonprofit camps
- Public or private nonprofit universities or colleges
What is a Webpagina:
A webpagina is the physical location, approved by the State agency, where you serve SFSP meals during a supervised time period. States classify and approve SFSP meal sites spil open, closed enrolled, camp, migrant, or NYSP:
- Open sites operate te low-income areas where at least 50 procent of children residing ter the area are eligible for free and reduced-price schoolgebouw meals, based on tópico schoolgebouw or census gegevens . The meals are served free to any child at the webpagina on a first-come, first-serve ondergrond.
- Closed enrolled sites are established for a specific group of children who enroll te an organized activity program or who do not reside te an eligible low income area. The webpagina becomes eligible for SFSP if at least half of the enrolled children qualify for free and reduced-price meals. Because the webpagina is not open to the community, meals are served free only to enrolled children.
- Camps are sites that offerande regularly scheduled food service along with organized activities for enrolled residential or day campers. The camp receives reimbursement only for meals served to enrolled children who qualify for free and reduced-price meals.
- Migrant sites primarily serve children of migrant workers. The webpagina qualifies by providing adequate certification from a migrant organization.
- NYSP Collegium or university participating ter the National Youth Sports Program (NYSP). Children vereiste be enrolled ter NYSP to participate.
Who Can Become a Webpagina:
Meal service sites may be located te a diversity of settings, including schools, recreation centers, playgrounds, parks, churches, community centers, day camps, residential summer camps, housing projects, and migrant centers, or on Indian reservations.
Some organizations do not have the financial or administrative capability to run the program, but they can supervise a food service for children, along with recreational or enrichment activities, at a webpagina. If you supervise a webpagina, you will:
- Attend your sponsor’s training
- Supervise activities and meal service at your webpagina
- Manage volunteers
- Distribute meals by following SFSP guidelines
- Keep daily records of meals served
- Store food appropriately
- Keep the webpagina clean and sanitary
- Help your sponsor promote the program te the community
How to Prepare Meals
A sponsor may prepare its own meals, purchase meals through an agreement with an area schoolgebouw, or contract for meals with a food service management company (vendor). Summer is an ideal time to incorporate circunscrito foods into meals.
If your webpagina has its own kitchen, you may want to prepare meals yourself. If your kitchen is not on the premises, you may still want to prepare your own meals, and then vervoer them to the webpagina. Meals that you prepare yourself receive a slightly higher rate of reimbursement. You would receive “self-prep” rates, whether you prepare the meals from scrape or purchase the components and assemble the meals yourself.
Many government and private nonprofit sponsors lack the kitchen facilities to prepare meals themselves. Te that case, you may arrange to purchase meals from a schoolgebouw or another public or private food supplier with approved meal prep facilities.
How to Apply
To apply, voeling the SFSP agency ter your State. Each State has its own application and training process. Click here for a list of State voeling information and deadlines .